Sunday, May 07, 2006

What is the plural of 'beanie'?...A Can! A can of beanies!! hehe

I am hat mad at the moment...I know! Apparently, in years gone by the phrase "Mad as a hatter" was coined by Milliners who over years plying their trade of hat making were sent slowly but surely...er...'dotty' by the particular chemicals used to process rabbit skins. (Tye..I'm sure you will know...what is the correct name for these rabbit skins...also...did Milliners only make womens hats while hatters made mens? hehe...I'll give you a prize if you know!) Check out the hand dyed rovings which I dyed specifically for this hat.... luckily for me there is a fair bit left over..hooray! I love the range of pink...from Musk through to burgandy. The yarn even looked great when it was still on the bobbin............. Well, I have to admit that my spinning is my strong point where knitting is my weaker feature...but it's coming along. Filling a winter beanie request of "different shades of pink, beads, gold thread, and big, soft and cushie" made recently by a work collegue of Sasa has been really enjoyable. I do love a little pink! When I was scetching out what look I was aiming for I was accompanied by 7 children which may explain my aversion of straight lines...hehe!! (we did have fun!!) . I have designed this beanie to be all comfy and floppy at the top...kinda' like a skiing beanie. The double over cuff keeps it nicely up off your face and it's a tiny bit smaller in an area around the forehead so it can stay up and still keep the look of the nice loose top. You can see we have our above mentioned yarn..in both beaded and gold threaded, some Rushworth Snowey, Sheepychic white slubby and a nice little bit of Merry Munchkin Designs "Faery Dawn" yarn which I had in my yarn stash at the very top.....which you can source at http://merrymunchkindesigns.blogspot.com/ If you do go to Merry munchkin designs have a look at some archives where you may find some of Tyes handknit Butterfly shawls. They are stunning...when gathered they appear like a scarf but take the top corners and you have a beautiful set of butterfly wings....which hang nicely over the shoulders and drape down. Anyway, I'm so pleased you have popped into Sheepychic bloggings....many thanks, Ruth xx

2 comments:

Merry Munchkin Designs said...

Awwwwwwwww, I am so touched you told them about my wings! Thankyou! It looks stunning, the beanie, I mean! Sorry about being responsible for 3 of those 7 kids at your house...... I bet they helped though??!!! I hate to say but the answer to your query is..... how on earth would I know that??????? I am flattered that you think I am so smart though...

Merry Munchkin Designs said...

milusine??? is that it??

Hand spun yarns web-ring...